[mythtv-users] Best latest Ion Boards?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Nov 30 13:41:23 UTC 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 5:49 AM, Bill Williamson wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Mark Garland
> <mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm watching this area with interest as these ION boards would make an
>> excellent frontend, and the Revo looks tempting as it already comes in a
>> case with all the bits you need and looks quite stylist (e.g.
>> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167153)
>>
>> Some say, e.g. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169553, "Full 1080p HD video",
>> but I fear that this is only when combined with DirectX10 on a Windows
>> operating system.
>>
>> The thing that I'm struggling to find is an ION with at least a 9500 GPU, as
>> IIRC this is what's needed for the most demanding deinterlacers.
>> Looking at my Gainward 9500GT passive which is huge, I suspect that the
>> cooling presents a huge problem here.
>>
>> Happy to be corrected,
>

> -the ION by definition is a 9400M + ATOM.  Hence your inability to
> find a 9500 one :)

What he said.

> -Apparently (I don't have one) the ION can do advanced 1x and temporal
> 2x.  Temporal 2x is barely distinguishable from advanced 2x to my eye,
> so I don't think it's MUCH of a loss

Yes, the ion can do either temporal 2x or advanced 1x on 1080i material just fine. A few people claim to be running advanced 2x on a 9400 of some sort or another just fine, but it most certainly causes *my* (zotac atom 330-based) ion to choke, even with the gpu memory allocation maxed out (system has 4G, 512M given to the gpu, iirc, so it ain't starved).

> -ION2 is due out.... within 6 months?  someone else may correct me,
> but it IS coming.

We're also supposed to be inundated with ion-based netbooks by now. So I dunno that I'd hold my breath waiting for ion2.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com