[mythtv-users] Tuning problems with 0.22

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 06:37:57 UTC 2009

2009/11/29 Mike Dent <mcdent at gmail.com>:

> Now with the new system I decided to delete all the channels, delete
> the transports (via mythtv-setup) and start afresh.
>
> What happens now each time I do a tune is that after it has finished,
> 15 mins or so, I end up with about '157 confilicting DVB channels'.
> If I want to add these I must go through each one and give it a new
> channel number?
> However before I begun I made sure there were no existing channels? Do
> I need to do some kind of database magic and delete these?
>
> I'm still not sure if I will then end up picking up channels from the
> Lancaster repeater too?
>
> Is there a sure-fire way that I should do the tuning?

Perhaps import/create the 6 muxes for the Winter Hill transmitter you
want to use in mythtv-setup, and then limit the channel scanning to
those muxes only - this would avoid the problem of the full spectrum
scan picking up channels/muxes being broadcast from the repeater. I'm
not sure if a tuned scan starting on one of the Winter Hill muxes
would completely avoid detection of the repeater muxes, but it's worth
a try.

The channel scanner in 0.22 saves previous scan information
(muxes/channels). This can be cleaned out by truncating the relevant
tables, but ISTR that you can clear this info out in the mythtv-setup
scanner GUI (away from machine at the moment, so cannot confirm this).

> I have 2 x Nova-T PCI cards in the myth box. I assume I do not need to
> do a separate tune on each card?

Correct.

> I'm also looking to add a dual tuner USB stick to the mix but I
> thought I should get this setup working first. When I need to add
> that, must I tune that separately?

No. If your DVB-T tuners are all tuning to the same transmitter, you
just need to create the video source once and attach it to all of the
DVB-T inputs on the Input Connections screen.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott