[mythtv-users] ION boards, 230 vs 330, fans?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Nov 30 04:29:06 UTC 2009

On 11/29/2009 22:53, Bill Williamson wrote:
> Do ALL of the 330 (dual core) based IONs have fans, or is it just an
> indicator that they might?
> The one I'm specifically interested in is this one:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173001&cm_re=ion_nvidia-_-56-173-001-_-Product

The only way an ION system could be fanless is if it were built into a
case that functions as a large external heatsink.  You're simply not
going to get sufficient airflow through passive convection to cool them
to a stable temperature otherwise.  It's got nothing to do with single
or dual core, as the system will be running at several times the power
consumption of either chip on its own.