[mythtv-users] Total system upgrade: Am I screwed?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 29 18:22:56 UTC 2009

On 11/29/2009 09:50 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> Here's the error:
>
> ERROR: Invalid database information file, stopped at
> bin/mythconverg_restore.pl line 686.
>
> I used --partial_restore just to get the recordings and schedule info
> but got the same error trying without that option as well. I'm
> specifiying the full name of the backup file using tab completion so I
> know I'm not mistyping it...

But you're not specifying the command-line option that tells the script
you're specifying a filename.

 - What you're doing:

./mythconverg_restore.pl file.sql.gz

(which will never work) or

./mythconverg_restore.pl /path/to/file.sql.gz

 - What you could do:

./mythconverg_restore.pl --filename /path/to/file.sql.gz

(assuming you do not have a backuprc file that specifies a
directory--otherwise, you'd have to specify a blank directory with
--directory='').

 - The *right* way to do it:

./mythconverg_restore.pl --directory /path/to --filename file.sql.gz

(It's designed such that you specify a directory and/or a filename, but
if you don't supply a directory, you can use an absolute path to the
file, as in the "What you /could/ do".)

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Full_restore_of_a_specific_backup_file

For future reference, if you tell people what command you ran, they can
help you figure out what you did wrong (even if they don't know the
script inside-out)...  The possibility exists--though I'm sure it's a
tiny possibility--that the problem lies not with the backup or with the
restore script...

Also, there /is/ a mythconverg_restore.pl --help so you can help
yourself.  Though it has a lot of info, the quick start is generally
enough.  I'll change it to do the quick start info for --help and have
an extended help with everything.

I'll also put an error message in there that tells people to fix their
command line when they specify an invalid database information file.

Mike