[mythtv-users] recent dish external channel change problems?

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 16:12:04 UTC 2009

I've been using a dish vip211 with an IguanaWorks serial IR
transceiver for most of the year with very high reliability on channel
changes.  Recently, my channel change reliability has taken a nose
dive.  I've played with my channel change script, increasing delays
between commands, but I can't find a recipe that gets me back to the
reliability I had earlier.  I typically get double button presses, so
instead of tuning to channel 138, it might tune to channel 113, which
doesn't exist in my lineup, sending me into the hard to get out of
menus.  I've had to resort to using the dish guide to change channels
to avoid this.

I notice that http://dishuser.org/211sw.php lists that dish released a
new firmware image for this system on 11/5/2209 (L527), which seems
like it roughly coincides with when my channel change issues started,
but my receiver claims to be running software version L458.  I'm
running mythtv 0.22.0+fixes22890, but I suspect the issue is
independent of mythtv as I get the same results manually running the
channel change script outside of myth.

Is anyone else having recent issues with dish receivers?  Is there an
IR transmitter that's more reliable than serial, perhaps a USB-UIRT?
Thanks,

Alex