[mythtv-users] Total system upgrade: Am I screwed?

Rodney Morris rodamorris at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 15:09:54 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Bob Wiegand <bob_ml at stuffofmine.com> wrote:
> Richard Shaw wrote:
>>
>> Well I thought I had done the right thing but apparently not.
>>
>> I had a Fedora 10 system with Myth 0.21 and I decided to take the
>> plunge and upgrade the system to Fedora 12 and Myth to 0.22 all at
>> once.
>>
>> I backed up the database per the wiki and copied all important data on
>> my desktop so I could wipe the system for a fresh install. The F12
>> install went smoothly and I installed Myth. Per the wiki I was
>> supposed to import the mc.sql file prior to restoring the database,
>> which I did. However, when I ran the restore script it bombed out.
>>
>> Bottom line: Is there any way to save any of my database info? The
>> only things I care about are the recordings which I still have all of
>> on a separate drive and my recording schedules.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>
> Big warning - I'm not I database expert and I haven't done this myself.
>
> The problem is probably that the backup data is not compatible with the
> the latest database version. When you installed myth it created a
> new database.
>
> A Myth database expert might know how to fix the backup files, but
> I don't.
>
> It might be possible to make this work by doing the following:
> 1 - uninstall Myth
> 2 - remove the myth database if it still exists
> 3 - manually create the myth database from your backup
> 4 - reinstall myth
>
> I believe that the myth install is supposed to upgrade an existing
> database if it finds one.

If the problem is an incompatible database format from 0.21-fixes, why not

1) stop mythbackend
2) grab mc.sql from the 0.21-fixes branch in trac[1]
3)  $ mysql -u root -p
4)  mysql> DROP DATABASE mythconverg;
5)  mysql> exit
6)  $ mysql -u root -p < /path/to/0.21-fixes/mc.sql,
7)  restore the database using mythconverg_restore.pl

(I make no claim to being a database expert.)

Rod

[1] http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/export/22930/branches/release-0-21-fixes/mythtv/database/mc.sql