[mythtv-users] Total system upgrade: Am I screwed?

Rodney Morris rodamorris at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 14:42:13 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well I thought I had done the right thing but apparently not.
>
> I had a Fedora 10 system with Myth 0.21 and I decided to take the
> plunge and upgrade the system to Fedora 12 and Myth to 0.22 all at
> once.
>
> I backed up the database per the wiki and copied all important data on
> my desktop so I could wipe the system for a fresh install. The F12
> install went smoothly and I installed Myth. Per the wiki I was
> supposed to import the mc.sql file prior to restoring the database,
> which I did. However, when I ran the restore script it bombed out.
>
> Bottom line: Is there any way to save any of my database info? The
> only things I care about are the recordings which I still have all of
> on a separate drive and my recording schedules.

In answering the question in the subject, you are not screwed.  Over
the past couple of days, I performed the exact same upgrade on my
combined FE/BE and ran into the same problem.  mythconverg_restore.pl
would continually bomb out, reporting that the database didn't exist
or with "Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password:
NO)".  To restore my database, I did the following:[1]

1)  If you used mythconverg_backup.pl to backup your database,
uncompress the backup file using gzip or bzip2.
2)  # mysql -u root -p
3)  mysql> DROP DATABASE mythconverg;
4)  mysql> create database mythconverg;
5)  mysql> exit
6)  # mysql -u root -p myconverg < /path/to/uncompressed/.sql/backup/file

Hope this helps,

Rod

[1]  These instructions are based on
http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2298778&postcount=4 .
 Actually, instructions 2-4 could probably be replaced with "$ mysql
-u root -p < /path/to/mc.sql".