[mythtv-users] vdpau worth it for hdtv?

Andrew Herron totallymaxed at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 22:55:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Kevin Johnson <dabears_rule at yahoo.com>wrote:

>  Hi All:
>
> I understand how vdpau reduces cpu usage and that it will allow playing
> h.264 videos and such.
> However, I am wondering if there is any real advantage to "upgrading" if
> all you do is watch ota hdtv and xvid movies?  Will vdpau actually improve
> the picture quality?  Will using a playback profile that utilizes vdpau
> produce a better picture than the same playback profile that does not use
> vdpau?

vdpau provides by far the best picture quality available for SD or HD
currently. There is just no comparison at all. Under 0.21 or 0.22 they
difference is just like night & day...and with further improvements and
features in later nVidia drivers the quality will improve further.

Believe me my family and friends are incredibly intolerant of less than
perfect picture quality and they have time and again been unable to
determine whether they are watching a STB (with HDMI output on SD & HD
content) and MythTV from an Ion based MythTv box.

Believe me you will not be disappointed :-)

Andrew