[mythtv-users] Dell Inspiron 537s?

j2u4 j2u4 j2u44u at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 20:07:52 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> Since you have an HD and an SD TV set, do you plan to transcode HD
> recordings to SD for use with the SD set? Do you plan to transcode on the
> fly, or store two copies of each recording? or perhaps use a frontend that
> can accept HD files and display them as SD?

  That's a good question. I was thinking of keeping everything HD so that
programs could be played on either TV, then sending them to the SD set via
svideo or somesuch (doesn't require re-transcoding, does it?).

  The input would be from over-the-air HD, so the B/E wouldn't need to do
transcoding there either, if I have the right kind of DVB card, right?

> It sounds to me like you are thinking of piling too much into one machine,
> but if you can make it work, more power to you.

 That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for -- I don't want to try
to do something that is not likely to work.

> Depending on your physical layout, I would think having a B/E and two F/Es
> in one machine would result in a lot of cabling around the house.

  Currently, I have a Dish DVR that is set up to do this same thing. It's a
model from 3 years ago, and the cabling is already strung. I figured that if
Disk could make a piece of low-cost hardware that handled this for SD 3/4
years ago, I could probably do the same myself with HD-over-the-air with
newer hardware, but I'm out of the loop as to whether anyone else does this
with Myth right now.

  Personally, I'd love if I could spend about the same amount as a Dish HD
DVR (~$500) and just buy a Myth box that could do this without all the
fiddling. But building looks like a lot of fun, it's just the unknowns of
"will it actually work" that is making me cautious.

  Oh, one other thing -- I'd like this box to be able to serve up hulu
content to either of the TVs too. I'm sure that ups the ante with regard to
cpu.

Thanks
J2