[mythtv-users] How to set up multiple tuners with different channels?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 16:38:43 UTC 2009

My setup consists of two backends: My master backend uses an HDHomeRun for
its two tuners, and my slave backend (which has just been rebuilt and not
put back into service yet) uses an HD-PVR attached to a digital STB. My
cable service is Charter digital. My HDHR only tunes a handful of
unencrypted channels, while my STB can tune a few hundred SD and HD
channels.  I've set up my HDHR and removed or moved each incorrect / blank
channel so that my channel numbers match up to those on my STB (786 = Fox
HD, etc). I'd now like to set up my other BE and mash the tuners together
into one happy Myth sandwich. However I've had some issues doing this in the
past and was hoping for some guidance.

The last time I tried this, I figured I could set up two sources, both
relying on the same SchedulesDirect lineup. However, this resulted in
duplicate channel numbers in the program guide and a general mess. My
feeling is that as it stands now, the channel source I've set up only has
the HDHR channels in it, so if I point my HD-PVR to this source it will be
missing hundreds of channels. Is this correct?

I tend to use mythweb to edit channels, but I noticed in MythTV-setup that
there's a field to tie a channel to a particular Video source. If I went the
dual source route, I could append a .1 to each HDHR channel and tie those .1
channels to only the HDHR's source. It's a messy workaround that I'd like to
avoid if possible but is it plausible? Or is there an easy fix that I'm not
aware of?