[mythtv-users] Updated from fedora 10 to 12 and have issues with nvidia driver loading

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Nov 27 17:14:58 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 10:17:12PM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> >>I have this stanza in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf: blacklist
> >>nouveau
> >>
> >>That did not help me until I actually added the kernel parameter
> >>in grub.conf.  I did reboot.

> >Same here..I had to recompile the kernel (initrd) without
> >rivafb/nvidiafb and then the Nvidia driver started to work
>
> Um. Just for the record, building a new initrd is nothing even
> *close* to "recompile the kernel". A new initrd is just a compressed
> image of stuff that is either scripts or already compiled.
> Recompiling the kernel involves building a new kernel from source
> code. Very very different things.

Just as a mini-howto: If one wants to rebuild the initrd for a
packaged kernel and make sure it is done exactly the same way the
Fedora/RHEL/etc. package did it, just look at the new-kernel-pkg of
rpm -q --qf '%{postin}\n' kernel gives, for example

[...]
/sbin/new-kernel-pkg --package kernel --mkinitrd --dracut --depmod --install 2.6.31.5-127.fc12.x86_64 || exit $?
[...]

Copy and paste this into your root's console. It does the mkinitrd and
other stuff.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net