[mythtv-users] Configuring my 1st Mythbuntu box

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 01:57:56 UTC 2009

I have one hd-pvr and two hvr-1600 capture devices to configure.
I have a dish vip722 dvr.  I only going to use the receiver.
I'll turn off its dvr once I get the myth box working.

I was thinking of building a windows box first and
making sure the hardware all worked.  But all I've
got is windows 2000, and the hardware may not work with a
windows that old.  So I crossed my fingers and installed
mythbuntu 9.10 karmic, so far all the docs I have found
are 0.21 9.04 jaunty or earlier.

I'm planning on using the ir remote from the hd-pvr
with a usb ir receiver that I believe came with a
dvico fusion hdtv5 rt lite, but I could be wrong
about its provenance.   I believe I saw a thread
that said I'd have to compile the hd-pvr code if
I wanted the ir remote to work through it.

Getting the ir interface through a usb port sounds
much more straight forward.  I hope it is!

The only output I have to plug in a blaster is in the hd-pvr.
Sounds straightforward ...

In the karmic mythtv backend setup capture cards and video sources,
I see:
     a new command, and
     one or more "delete all something" commands, and
     a list of existing capture cards.

Sometimes I'd really like to be able to select and delete just one capture
card.  But it doesn't seem possible.

the hvr-1600s are model 1103, which have:
    no remote,
    3 f connectors,
        the top one is fm radio
        the middle one is analog cable tv
        the bottom one is atsc/clear qam
   s-video
   left audio rca
   right audio rca

Here's an excerpt from the dmesg regarding the hd-pvr

[   17.583417] hdpvr 2-3:1.0: untested firmware version 0xf, the driver
might not work

Hmm.  Need to upgrade firmware.  Downloaded firmware from hauppauge.com.
Only installs under windows.  All I've got is a windows 2000 instance under
the nonfree virtualbox.  Fought with it to attach the hd-pvr to the windows
virtual machine.  The installer didn't work in the vm.  I gave up and went
visit a friend with windows.  Her xp desktop is just back from the shop,
where a bad motherboard was replaced.  xp is not happy.  I think it needs a
fresh install on a new hard drive.  I'm not going there.  I tried her
laptop.  I think we have the hd-pvr firmware updated.  We'll see when we get
home.

[67410.189349] hdpvr 2-3:1.0: untested firmware version 0x12, the driver
might not work

Hmm.  The firmware version changed, but it's still untested.  After a closer
look at the hauppauge web site I see it's brand spanking new:

File name: hdpvr_1.5.6.1.zip
Date: Nov. 24, 2009
File size: 4 MB

The version of the firmware known to work is no longer readily available.
With luck we won't need it.  Has anybody upgraded to this version of the
firmware.  Does it work?  How well?

The hvr-1600 docs I can find talk about getting and installing firmware not
in the repositories, and compiling your own drivers.  I hoping that's not
necessary with mythbuntu 9.10.

Excerpts from the dmesg gives us some good info on the hvr-1600 cards

[   22.166929] cx18-0: Registered device video1 for encoder MPEG (64 x 32
kB)
[   22.494849] cx18-0: Registered device video25 for encoder PCM audio (256
x 4 kB)
[   22.494815] cx18-0: Registered device video33 for encoder YUV (16 x 128
kB)

[   22.888120] cx18-1: Registered device video2 for encoder MPEG (64 x 32
kB)
[   22.933186] cx18-1: Registered device video26 for encoder PCM audio (256
x 4 kB)
[   22.933155] cx18-1: Registered device video34 for encoder YUV (16 x 128
kB)

What does the info in the () mean?