[mythtv-users] Moved Backend/Frontend and Name change, now want a partial restore

John Haywood john at jhit.com.au
Thu Nov 26 12:00:30 UTC 2009

As the subject says, i have moved my backend/frontend to a new box, a new distribution *and* a new name

The new box is fully functional, but before I start recording and creating rules, I'd like to get my old recordings out of the old box.

The database versions are the same (I was using 0.22 from rpmfusion, now Mythbuntu 9.10 - 0,22)
i have a backup or three , taken with the new mythconverg_backup.pl
The mysql password under mythbuntu is a pain - the mythtv user password is OK, as its in a text file, but i can't for the life of me find the db root user, so the following :

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup
Before performing a partial restore, the database must exist and must have tables. After dropping the mythconverg database:
DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS mythconverg;
run the mc.sql script, as described above. Then, start mythtv-setup to create the database schema. Exit mythtv-setup, and then restore the database:
mythconverg_restore.pl --partial_restore
will not work unless I have the mysql root password

Also, as I understand it, this should only get my recordings and rules back - will I need to reset everything again? (run mythsetup or somesuch?)

What are the implications for the restore regarding the name change? The machine has the same name, but the database was on localhost, and now is on its ip address, is this going to mess the restoration?

Any help or guidance appreciated. i have searched the mythbuntu forums, but the older posts suggest that the root mysql user has a blank password, and this is definitely not the case here

cheers

John