[mythtv-users] Never built a system from scratch - will this work?

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 00:15:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:53:22 -0500, Rick <rbonafied at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My myth box just bit the dust and I'm clamoring to have a replacement
> ready as soon as possible.  Since I've never built one from scratch I
> was wondering if I'll be ok with this setup:
>
> ----------
> GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD
> Motherboard
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394
>
> Antec New Solution NSK2480 Black/Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel MicroATX
> Desktop Computer Case 380W Power Supply
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129034
>
> AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W
> Dual-Core Processor
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103681
> -----------
>
> One thing I'm concerned about is whether the motherboard will fit in the
> case.

It should fit fine - I have a NSK2480 and my MicroATX Gigabyte board
fitted fine. Excellent case BTW, I've been very pleased with it. Quiet,
easy to fit stuff in and looks good.

> I'm planning to use my existing IDE disks but it looks like it will only
> support two of them.  (I have 3)

Yes, it only has rooms for two drives - ut the rubber grommits and
suspension make them really quite :) Perhpas time to upgrade to a couple of
1TB drivers and just copy everything over? :)

Alternatively if you don't want a DVD drive you could probably slot one in
there. Wouldn't be as quiet as the dedicated bays though.

> Do you think I should not use the onboard VATI ideo card and get an
Nvidia?

Absolutely. Go Nvidia.

> If this case is too tight, what would you recommend that also has 24+8
> power leads?

No opinion, but I think you'll have no problem.

--
Lindsay Mathieson
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home/