[mythtv-users] Updated from fedora 10 to 12 and have issues with nvidia driver loading

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 23:11:45 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I just updated my system to Fedora 12 (from 10) by using a DVD and
then yum-upgrade.  In the process, I can't get Xorg starting due to a
nvidia issue.  I removed all nvidia stuff and reinstalled it,
including the kmdl, and still get this in my Xorg log:
(EE) Nov 25 15:07:10 NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel
module. Please see the
(EE) Nov 25 15:07:10 NVIDIA(0):     system's kernel log for additional
error messages and
(EE) Nov 25 15:07:10 NVIDIA(0):     consult the NVIDIA README for details.
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
(II) UnloadModule: "fb"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

and this in dmesg:
NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter probed!
NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine was not called for 1 device(s).
NVRM: This can occur when a driver such as rivafb, nvidiafb or
NVRM: rivatv was loaded and obtained ownership of the NVIDIA
NVRM: device(s).
NVRM: Try unloading the rivafb, nvidiafb or rivatv kernel module
NVRM: (and/or reconfigure your kernel without rivafb/nvidiafb
NVRM: support), then try loading the NVIDIA kernel module again.
NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter probed!

It hangs after the visual start-up of fedora (with the tear drop filling).