[mythtv-users] Can Myth 'tune' these 'free' converter boxes?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 15:05:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 9:10 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>   Like you, I'd like to get this working, but the two free converters
>> Comcast provides are used with older TV sets so I cannot experiment
>> with them. On the other hand my wife would like to record BBC on Myth
>> which would require that I rent a new STB for Myth purposes only. If I
>> was to do that then I could maybe look into this problem again, but to
>> me this task seemed overly difficult. I suppose it really isn't but
>> the instructions I could find at the time left me thinking it might
>> turn into a time sink so I didn't proceed.
>
> The free converter boxes are Pace DTAs.  I know I'm kind of late to the
> party here, but does this help?
>
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2009-May/255072.html

Yeah, these are basically thesort of instructions instructions I
looked at a couple of months ago. The second link to the MythTV.org
page is maybe 1000 lines of reading (well maybe 500 reading and 500
lines of lirc codes...) ;-) so at the time (and still now) it's just
too much for me to deal with on this problem. I figure one of these
days someone will come up with the 50 line version that works for
impatient folks like me but for now I don't have a free Pace DTA
anymore - as I said they are both in use. I understand that I could
replace the DTA with an STB and it would work - IR tuning is IR tuning
- but I don't want to pay Comcast any more than I currently do.

Thanks,
Mark