[mythtv-users] HD-PVR: Encoding Errors Running 0.22

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Nov 25 03:13:06 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 06:11:10PM -0700, John P Poet wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 5:33 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> > Interesting. ?I've been meaning to try the RCA inputs to see if that
> > had any effect. ?Is anyone who is having the stop/restart problem
> > using the RCA inputs?
>
> I have never uses the RCA inputs.  Been S/PDIF from day one.

Which doesn't disprove my guess that it might be s/pdif audio related.

> I almost wonder if the problem is STB specific?  Maybe some STBs (or
> service providers) produce a cleaner video and AC3 signal than others?
>  Personally, I feed my HD-PVRs with a Directv H20-100 and H21-200.

It wouldn't surprise me if the problem is STB specific.  From what I
understand, even for the same model STB, there are a lot of
differences from market to market regarding the firmware used and the
features supportted.  The reason I'm starting to suspect the digital
audio is because the video is analog.  Except for sync, there's not a
lot for the STB to screw up and the HD-PVR should happily encode
whatever analog values it receives.  With the digital audio output on
the other hand, it could be much easier for things to go wrong.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net