[mythtv-users] Hidden Silicon Dust channel guide wonderfulness

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Nov 24 22:28:19 UTC 2009

At 4:54 PM -0500 11/24/09, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Dan Wilga
><mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
>>  My point is that the very presence of a listing (and a channel) is
>>  predicated upon there being a user who receives the channel and leaves the
>>  feature to send data to SiliconDust enabled.
>
>It must be opt-in not opt-out, mustn't it?  How would they know your
>provider and zip if you didn't manually enter this information?

Yes, it's an opt-in, technically. But, as I recall when I set it up
on a PC (which I've hardly used for this purpose since) several years
ago, you're encouraged to enter your ZIP code in order to get channel
lineups. The software doesn't specifically warn you that by doing
this data will be sent back to SD during off-peak hours--even if you
never use the PC software again. The lack of warning may have
changed, or I could be misremembering its absence, though.

This is one of the few cases where I don't really care if a company
gathers information from a device I own, since they're only using it
for this page, and the data is gathered during times when the HDHR
isn't doing anything else, anyway. I disabled the feature since I
didn't want it using my network bandwidth and, like most Myth users,
I don't have any use for the device's channel lineups.