[mythtv-users] HD-PVR as IR receiver under Mythbuntu, advice needed

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Nov 24 21:06:53 UTC 2009

On Nov 24, 2009, at 4:02 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2009, at 1:04 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
>
> > So I've been planning my upgrade to 0.22, along with adding an HD-PVR and replacing my frontend hardware with a Revo. The Revo doesn't have a serial port, so my IR sensor will no longer be usable. However, the HD-PVR has an IR sensor built-in, and from what I can gather, there is support for it in lirc, but this support is kind of an in-progress thing.  I want to use Mythbuntu for my myth system, and upgrade the lirc drivers to handle the HD-PVR sensor.
> >
> > In this message:
> >
> > http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2009-September/263197.htmll
> >
> > Jarod talks about ways to upgrade lirc to work with the HD-PVR. However, I think his examples all pertain to Fedora.
>
> No. Everything after option 1 there pertains to Linux, nothing Fedora-specific at all.
>
> For Fedora 12 though, it should all Just Work, right out of the box.
>
> > Does anyone have advice on what route to take to get this working under Mythbuntu?  I have some, but not a lot (and not in several years), of experience with kernel rebuilding, if that ends up being necessary.
>
> Its not. See option 3 in the url you referenced. (but I'd use the latest git head, rather than the version referenced there).
>
> Excellent.  Is the receiver code pretty stable at this point?  I read somewhere in my searching something about the HD-PVR becoming unresponsive or something occasionally when using lirc with it.  If this is not an issue, that means I can go ahead and order the Revo with the knowledge that I'll be able to get it working with not too much pain and suffering on my part.

There are reports of the unit essentially locking itself up during recording if the ir part is being polled by the lirc_zilog driver, yes. Not sure if that's an issue with the hdpvr driver or the lirc_zilog driver at this point. I don't actually use my hdpvr for much of anything at the moment, and haven't had time to dig into it.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com