[mythtv-users] Odd audio problem. Can only get audio via spdif

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 19:52:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 11/24/2009 12:31 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:

>>> For my particular issue, i filed this bug which is now closed as a fedora problem:  http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7645
>>>
>> In that ticket it suggests setting the audio device to ALSA: nopulse
>>

> It also suggests setting the Mixer device to ALSA:nopulse, but that's
> wrong.  It should still be ALSA:default.
>
>> and putting this in .asoundrc
>>
>> pcm.nopulse {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>> }
>>
>> ctl.nopulse {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>>
>> }
>>

>> Why is this different than setting ALSA:default
>> and setting this in asound.conf (and erasing .asoundrc)?
>>
>> pcm.!default {
>>        type hw
>>        card 0
>>    }
>>
>> ctl.!default {
>>      type hw
>>      card 0
>> }
>>

> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/397932#397932
>
> (i.e. because there's more than just $HOME/.asoundrc).
>
> Mike

You use asound.conf for a global configuration and then individual
users can override this with .asoundrc files

I always think of a myth box as a dedicated box where you want just
one configuration.  But, what I said was aimed more at the content of
the file than which file you use.  I don't see why changing the name
of the sound driver to nopulse instead of just properly defining
default is the way to go.

Allen