[mythtv-users] MythCloud, think bigger think outside the box

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 14:29:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Thomas Lloyd <thomaslloyd at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Here are replies to all the feedback you guys have given:
>
> Also the idea of storage is to have it split on the archive servers, one
> person only ever gets 30 secs or 10% of a file which is considered fair
> use. http://www.lib.umn.edu/copyright/fairuse.phtml#fourfacotrs
> Obviously these chucks will exist over lots of sites but no more than
> the legal amount per server. Like bit torrent but you only host a fair
> amount of it. This is an idea I am not a lawyer.

Not to continue a discussion that Robert has properly pointed out
should NOT be on this list, but I did want to make it clear that there
is no minimum amount of copying that is **automatically** fair use.
CBS and Reuters were successfully sued for copyright infringement when
they took just a few seconds of video of Reginald Denny (sp?) being
beaten up in the Los Angeles riots after the Rodney King verdict.  And
there are many other instances where courts have rejected fair use
defenses when even just a little amount was taken.

The page you point to DOES NOT state that 30 seconds or 10% is
automatically fair use.  It does state that one of the 4 factors used
to make the fair use analysis is the amount taken, but this is not the
same thing -- and note that the amount taken does not address the
other 3 factors.  Please be careful and understand that you are
perpetuating a myth.