[mythtv-users] For HD Myth users, what is/was your cost?

MarcT myrdhn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 23:08:00 UTC 2009

I am curious what the total cost is/was for you to get everything up and
running (asides from time, which depending on whom you are may be the
priciest...).

So for example, an HD capture card, a capable backend, the frontend(s) of
course, the subscription to a provider and/or an antenna-- and if an
antenna, did you do it yourself? Order it online, buy from a shop, hire
someone to install, etc.? Not necessarily asking for the life story but some
brief explanation of the components as I'm really trying to get a gauge on
what entering this arena may cost me, and whether it's /worth/ it or not...

Thanks a lot
Bob

Bob,

This would be hard for me as prices have probably changed over the years.

Initially I had an SD box with a PVR-350 and 500.

When the broadcast flag was being threatened I purchased a PCHDTV HD-3000
for $99.99 when it came out. This was a big purchase for me at the time as I
was not making a lot of money.

A few years later as more shows I wanted to watch were on the Clear QAM
channels I purchased 2 HD-5000's. Again for $99.99 I think.

A few months later I decided to remove the HD-3000 from the equation and
replace it with a 3rd HD-5000 (another $99.99), as getting it to play with
the HD-5000 and the PVR 350 and 500 was a bit of a chore.

At the same time I revamped my setup to include more drives (6 total) and a
more powerful PSU (old one could not supply for all the drives) to my
backend and a bigger case to house all the drives, not sure of the cost
then.

If I had the money right now I would upgrade my drives again, Newegg has a
deal right now on 1.5TB drives for $99.99.

Marc

PS: you can see my current system setup at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:MarcT