[mythtv-users] For HD Myth users, what is/was your cost?

JEDIDIAH jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Nov 23 22:11:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 02:27:52PM -0700, Travis Tabbal wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > I am curious what the total cost is/was for you to get everything up and
> > running (asides from time, which depending on whom you are may be the
> > priciest...).
> >
> > So for example, an HD capture card, a capable backend, the frontend(s) of
> > course, the subscription to a provider and/or an antenna-- and if an
> > antenna, did you do it yourself? Order it online, buy from a shop, hire
> > someone to install, etc.? Not necessarily asking for the life story but some
> > brief explanation of the components as I'm really trying to get a gauge on
> > what entering this arena may cost me, and whether it's /worth/ it or not...
> >

> If I were to do it now, I'd make the frontends with Aspire Revo boxes
> $200/ea. The backend can be somewhat slow if you don't want to do

...if you're talking about a dedicated backend (presumably in some other
room) then I would just go with a purpose built tower with accomodations
in the case (and on the mobo) for a 3x tall hot swap rack. You can gave a
quad-core like that built by an online reseller for ~$600.

   Swap and add drives without opening the case...

[deletia]

   My 2nd generation backend is just such a machine. It replaced a similar
configuration that was minus the hot swap bays and was in an Antec "desktop"
style case intended to be suitable as a frontend.

   Now my master backend is a big ugly thing meant to be as convenient as
possible. ($600 for the basic system, $150 for the hot swap rack, plus the
cost of drives)