[mythtv-users] For HD Myth users, what is/was your cost?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 21:00:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:

> I am curious what the total cost is/was for you to get everything up and
> running (asides from time, which depending on whom you are may be the
> priciest...).
>
> So for example, an HD capture card, a capable backend, the frontend(s) of
> course, the subscription to a provider and/or an antenna-- and if an
> antenna, did you do it yourself? Order it online, buy from a shop, hire
> someone to install, etc.? Not necessarily asking for the life story but some
> brief explanation of the components as I'm really trying to get a gauge on
> what entering this arena may cost me, and whether it's /worth/ it or not...
>

> Thanks a lot
> Bob

Master Backend is a dual opteron server, specs here:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/57909216/m/452000411041?r=452000411041#452000411041(Disclaimer:
I'm the guy selling them.) Replaced the 2 CPUs with Opteron
2.2GHZ for $20 and a couple fans, so we'll say $110 total.

Tuner 1 is an HDHomeRun, $140.

Tuner 2 is an HD-PVR, around $200 from dell.com

Slave BE / living room FE is a dual-core Pentium based box with a $100
8400GS PCI card and 250GB HDD, total cost roughly $400. It has its own cable
box, too ($10 per month).

So, a grand total of $850 for parts. Charter HD service is about $70 per
month. I could have saved some money by making one big BE/FE, and to be
honest the HDHR won't be needed as much (if) when I get the freaking HD-PVR
working reliably.