[mythtv-users] help picking FE/BE components

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 16:17:02 UTC 2009

>> Video Card (I really have no clue here... I just googled "mythtv best vdpau" and
>> found a thread that recommended this one):
>> SPARKLE SFPC84GS512U2LP GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI HDCP
>> Ready Video Card
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187042
> Do you want to watch HD?  From what I've read, you will need an 8600
> or a 9600 class card (or possibly a 9500 class card, although that
> seems iffy from reports on the list.)

This isn't actually the case, when people say that you need the 8600
or 9500 for HD what they actually mean is you need those cards to play
HD with the Advanced 2X deinterlacer. You can play HD with the lesser
cards with a different deinterlacer, such as bob.
I have heard some people having trouble with HD with those lesser
cards that also had 256 MB of video RAM, but I'm not sure if that was
with the older drivers.