[mythtv-users] help picking FE/BE components

James Warden warjamy at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 23 10:53:05 UTC 2009

for the GPU, I would recommend at least an nVidia GeForce 9xxx

I have a mobo that has a 9300 chip (BE/FE system) and another PC with a PI express 9500GT (audio production PC - studio work, occasionally FE).

Both are working great with vdpau, so long as you disable composite effect in your WM (really no big deal) to avoid some tearing effect on the picture.

The mobo with the 9300 chip is an ASUS P5N7A-VM. It does not have a PCI express slot (in case you need one, that's not the right mobo). My tuner card is a Technisat CableStar HD2 (DVB-C) and I am quite satisfied with it.

The only issue I have with the mobo is that it does not resume from S3 properly. It actually powers off when you press the power button while the PC is sleeping (S3 state). I am not the only one reporting this issue. But I can live with that for now.

Cheers!
J.