[mythtv-users] Jamu and wath recordings

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 20:54:35 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Doug Vaughan <r.d.vaughan at rogers.com> wrote:
> Nick,
>   What do you not understand about getting something for nothing? Jamu has a
> GPL2 license so if you do not like what it does or not do, then role up your
> sleeves and code. Just this week two people have submitted patches for Jamu
> and one has already been committed. I welcome patches as it improves the
> script for everyone and allows me to write/support my other scripts
> (tvdb.py, tmdb.py and MiroBridge.py).
>
> Between support and answering user questions I am kept very busy. I wrote
> these scripts to give back to the MythTV developer's a little bit of what
> they gave me for free.
>
> If you do not know how to code then python, which is what jamu is written
> in, is a good starter language.
>
> Doug

No need to be prickly, I didn't criticise your tool at all. Part of
what I wrote (about it not being remote friendly) arose from a
misunderstanding, which Robert corrected.

I think it a backward step if non-coders can't make usability
suggestions without being told to submit a bug/patch. I have a
rudimentary understanding of programming, but probably wouldn't be up
to your standards of coding or understanding of the existing jamu code
base. I once tried to write some python code to interact with
thetvdb.com - you'll even find some questions from me on their forum
somewhere. I failed at first base and didn't know how to do it. I got
books on python and xml out of the local library. It still wasn't for
me.

That doesn't stop me being an avid user, and having an ability to make
suggestions.

Thank you for your time and energy in creating Jamu.