[mythtv-users] Cell Phones - Remote Control or Display Device preferred - please vote!

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 20:33:27 UTC 2009

If I had to choose; a remote control that used the benefits of the
touchscreen device. Showing information on the device and completing actions
based on choices, not simply up down left right volume skip and select

This is a stepping stone to being able to use the device as a frontend as
well when the backend supports on the fly transcoding.

This could mostly be supported in a end-point (tablet device) independant
way by implelementing multiple upnp sub-standards... media controlpoint and
media renderer.

There seems to me that there are many mobile platforms worth supporting, rim
blackberry, apple itouch, android, symbian and even windows mobile. All
these platforms surely have upnp clients or media players that support upnp.

Once that was in place building a webfrontend overlay could provide a
consistent interface. This was proposed to me by a developer and although a
slightly complex architecture it is based on standards and therefore would
enable so many devices and allow the solution to be built in stages with
incremental benefits as components are released.

P.s. I write all this but I am sure my view is well understood by many, I
don't mean to annoy, it is just something I am passionate about.

Please excuse brevity and mistakes, this email was composed on a mobile
phone.

Thanks and regards,
Richard Morton
07899750400