[mythtv-users] What flavor of Linux are you using?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 16:09:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 10:43 -0500, Tom Dexter wrote:
>> have a bigger problem with the binary dependency issues that all
>> binary distros are stuck with than I'd ever have with compile times
>
> hmmm... I've never had any dependency issue since I started using Debian
> and Debian-based distros 5-6 years ago. Never.
>
> Nico

...and you won't unless you ever have a need to upgrade to a version
of some library that conflicts in a major way with what you're current
packages are using.  I just like the whole rolling distro thing you
get with Gentoo, where if you keep up with updates you never really
have much of any major upgrades.

Like I said, it's great if you want a compiled distro rather than a
binary one...and I happen to prefer that.  It doesn't make sense to
compare the two.

I'm not going to participate in any more distro wars here.   People
came in bashing John about Gentoo compile times and then got all
defensive when we explained why we happen to prefer it.  There's no
need for that.

Tom