[mythtv-users] Moving from debian to ubuntu on master backend

John reidjr at btconnect.com
Sun Nov 22 11:56:11 UTC 2009

Thomas Mørch wrote:
> I'm planing on doing my first reinstall of my debian server for the
> last 6 years, as my current partition scheme is getting a bit to limited.
>
> I also plan on upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10, as it seems like they have
> more "new" stuff that I could potentialy use in my system (backend is
> used as web, sip, mail, samba, webcontent filtering, and mythtv server).
>
> The most critical component right now, that I'm a bit worried about,
> is MythTV, The WAF will drop considerable, if our old recordings are lost.
>
> Is there any precautions that I have to take?
>
> Current setup is mythtv 0.21 fixes. Recording directories are on a
> seperate drive, to the root partition, so they won't be deleted during
> the move.
>
> I also plan on using a new drive for the root, so I still have my old
> debian, if anything goes wrong.
>
> Regards
> Thomas

I think the only critical thing is that you follow the backup and
restore database instructions. If you do a clean mythbuntu or  UBuntu
9.10 install i THINK you will end up with a clean install of 0.22, which
your database backup will not be suitable for. You must ensure that you
only restore to the right version of the database, so either downgrade
the new database to a 0.21-fixes install restore and then upgrade, or
upgrade on the old install backup and then restore onto the new.  The
only other gotcha may be that with multiple tuners, they may apear in a
diffrent order when you change/upgrade from Debian to Ubuntu, depending
on versions.