[mythtv-users] Backend constantly restarting

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 22 05:53:36 UTC 2009

On 11/22/2009 12:30 AM, Michael Harnden wrote:
> On Saturday 21 November 2009 11:30:42 pm Michael Harnden wrote:
>
>> New upgrade to 0.22 and my backend is constantly restarting every minute.
>>
> snip

(adding back one line that was snipped)
>> 2009-11-21 23:15:13.817 Closing DB connection named 'DBManager0'

We've had several users who noticed issues with the DB disappearing out
from under Myth, but we haven't been able to reproduce the issue or
track down its cause.  The closest we've gotten to it is
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6544 , but unfortunately the Qt debug
symbols weren't available/loaded when the backtrace was made, so it's
hard to tell what was happening.

>> So I guess I need to find out why the backend process is being terminated.
> Well I uninstalled monit and nagios and the restarting problem went away. I will investigate
> tomorrow to see which was the guilty party.

/Very/ interesting.  If you can figure out which caused it, please let
us know exactly how it was monitoring mythbackend (polling the status
port or using the bindings to send a "ping" to the backend or ...).

I don't know if Stuart was/is using nagios or monit when he saw the
database failure, but I'll ask.  (TTBOMK, he only saw the one.)

Thanks,
Mike