[mythtv-users] Odd audio problem. Can only get audio via spdif

Greg Zornetzer gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 21:17:22 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 12:33 AM, <stefan_jones at comcast.net> wrote:

> (NB: Abit motherboard, GeForce 7050/nForce 630 chipset.)
>
> Before my Fedora 12 install, my system could play audio via the TV's
> speakers (connected to the mobo standard speaker out)  (if the video was
> analog) or from my stereo system (for digital recordings), which has an
> spdif connection to my mobo. I could live with this.
>
> Now I can only play via the spdif port, when ALSA:spdif is selected. And it
> works for both analog and digital recordings! I can't get any other ALSA
> device to work.
>
> What puzzles me is that when I test my audio devices via Fedora's Settings
> / Multimedia section, I can get sound out of the standard speakers.
>
> Fedora's multimedia section mentions a Pulse Audio device. Why doesn't this
> show up as a device under Myth? Maybe the ALSA devices are too low level?

Hi Stefan,
My understanding is that pulseaudio and mythtv don't play nicely with each
other.  Perhaps if you remove pulseaudio, things might work better.  I
cannot remember with exact packages need to be pulled, but googling
pulseaudio and mythtv should reveal some discussions on the topic.
Best of luck,
-Greg