[mythtv-users] Adding new fields to a theme?

Alex McLintock alex at owal.co.uk
Sat Nov 21 13:15:09 UTC 2009

I understand that MthTV 0.22 has moved more towards the mythui library which
will be better in the long term. To this end only a few themes have been
ported to this new standard - and these are mostly Widescreen themes.

Now I have a problem. None of the themes I can find will tell me the size of
the file. I used this feature a lot in deciding what to delete and what
didn't record properly. (I have a lot of zero length recordings).

Looking at the themes I am guessing this is something to do with the
templates like this

thethemes/Mythbuntu$ grep SUBTITLE *
recordings-ui.xml:            <template>%|"SUBTITLE|"% %STARS%
%DESCRIPTION%</template>
schedule-ui.xml:
<value>%|"SUBTITLE|"%\n%YEARSTARS%%DESCRIPTION%</value>
schedule-ui.xml:
<template>%|"SUBTITLE|"%\n%YEARSTARS%%DESCRIPTION%</template>
schedule-ui.xml:            <template>%|"SUBTITLE|"%\n%LONGREPEAT%%STARS|
%%DESCRIPTION%</template>

etc

So I am guessing that I can add a new field in to the template and there you
go. Is that possible?

So I go hunting around for documentation and I find a little on the wiki
such as

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythUI_Theme_Development#Tutorials

but very very little of it says whether it is valid before 0.22, after 0.22,
or both!

(I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 as the back end - and sometimes use it as the front
end too)

Alex