[mythtv-users] Mythbackend aborting while many mythbackend --generate-preview processes

Bob Cottingham bobnvic at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 05:28:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 11/20/2009 11:26 PM, Bob Cottingham wrote:
>>
>> My backend just aborted and my wife isn't happy because it didn't
>> record Medium.  There were 14 mythbackend --generate-preview 0x0
>> processes running.  I've had this problem of lots of
>> --generate-preview processes since upgrading to .22-fixes
>
> If a remote backend, sounds like broken clocks and/or NFS.
This was with the master backend, but I also have the problem with the
slave backend.  Actually it is worse in that it won't run more than a
couple hours before disconnecting.

>>  though I
>> usually see it as mythcomflag stops working.  Can anyone help me
>> figure out why I am having this issue?
>
> We'll need a backtrace with debug symbols:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Debugging +
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html#ss22.2 .

I can compile with debugging, however it rarely aborts like this.
Usually the slave backend just disconnects from the master, however it
is still running and the logs (without any special verbose statements)
don't seem to show anything particularly interesting (to me).  The
master backend usually just stops commflagging with nothing special
that I can see in the logs.  In these cases while running with
debugging do I just CTRL-C when I notice the issue and post the entire
debugging text or is it not useful if it isn't seg faulting or locking
up?

Thanks for the guidance.

Bob C