[mythtv-users] frontend UI freezes during menu changes

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 20 19:52:44 UTC 2009

On 11/20/2009 02:33 PM, voidtrance at comcast.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am loving the new 0.22 and all the improvements on the UI. It looks
> much more
> polished and hi-end and I especially love the screenshots and fanart,
> etc. in both
> the watched recordings screen and mythvideo. A great, big Thank You to
> all the
> people and developers involved in making this happen!!
>
> However, I am having several issues with the frontend UI which I
> wanted to mention
> on the list. I know that there are several threads discussing CPU
> usage of mythfrontend
> but I think that some of the issues that I am seeing are unrelated to
> that.
>
> 1. In a lot of occasions, when switching from one menu to another (for
> example, from the
> top frontend menu to the Media Library menu) the menus freeze for
> about 10 seconds while
> both are being displayed. The best way I can describe this is that the
> menus freeze while the
> old menu is being faded out and the new menu is being faded in. There
> is nothing in the frontend
> log at the normal logging levels during this.
>
> 2. It takes a long time to switch the fanart in both the watch
> recordings screen and mythvideo
> and while that is happening the UI freezes. I am using Storage Groups
> so I know that the
> frontend sends a request to the backend for the image instead of
> reading it directly. However,
> the frontend and the backend are running on the same machine and most
> of the time, the CPU
> load is not that great.
> I also noticed the following errors while trying to load some fanart
> in the Watch recordings screen:
>
> 2009-11-19 19:19:00.691 MythSocket(5aa6a80:42): readStringList: Error,
> timed out after 7000 ms.
> 2009-11-19 19:19:00.691 RemoteFile::openSocket(file data socket),
> Error: Failed to open socket, timeout
>
> When this error happens on the frontend, the backend has these entries
> in its log:
>
> 2009-11-19 19:19:23.650 RingBuf(/video/groups/fanart//Burn
> Notice_fanart.jpg): Could not open /video/groups/fanart//Burn
> Notice_fanart.jpg.
> 2009-11-19 19:19:23.654 MainServer, Warning: Unknown socket closing
> MythSocket(0x7fe7990ba740)
> 2009-11-19 19:19:23.663 MythSocket(7fe7990ba740:-1): writeStringList:
> Error, socket went unconnected.
>                         We wrote 0 of 35 bytes with 1 errors
>
> The image is definitely there, as it sometime manages to show up in
> the frontend background and I have
> verified that it exists on the filesystem and is readable.
> On a separate note, these backend log entries show up a lot in my log,
> not only when using the Watch Recordings
> screen but also in mythvideo.
>
> 3. This is probably another instance of the general UI slowness, but
> when I am exiting the frontend,
> [...]
I'm having the same issues as you with 2 exceptions: I don't have any
fanart in my setup, mainly because I haven't bothered to look into what
I need to do to implement it.  Also, I've noticed that when I'm looking
at things in Mythweb, there's a 10-15 second gap in looking at those
descriptions on a recording or listing.  If you go to the listings page
and put your cursor over a show, I get a box in the lower left in green
saying "1 request pending".  After about 10-15 seconds, the description
finally pops up.  It does this in "Upcoming Recordings" too, but the
"Backend Status" seems OK with their popups.  Moving around in MythWeb
seems slower too but nothing too major.

I can provide logs and other details as well.  Anything to help.
Harry