[mythtv-users] Puzzled about HVR-2250 install

Matt Beadon matt.beadon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 19:46:16 UTC 2009

> > > I followed some links to LinuxTV but there's a lot of
> > > missing context that's throwing me off.

 Which part?

Has anybody been through this? Does
> > > having a driver available mean compiling a kernel, or a kernel module?

No, kernel changes required (assuming you don't mind compiling your own
driver).
I've been using the hvr-2250 since it first went "stable".  There were some
bad hangs initially but the driver has been really stable for months now.
Since I went through a few versions before the driver got really solid I've
built this driver a few times and it's pretty straightforward.

Really quickly:
1) Download latest driver from http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb (choose the bz2
or gz link on the left) or the current one is: "wget
http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/archive/tip.tar.gz"
2) unpack it somewhere eg in /usr/src/v4l-dvb.   "cd /usr/src/v4l-dvb; tar
-xzvf tip.tar.gz"
3) build it.  "cd v4l-dvb-XXXXXX; make"  where XXXX is the latest version
that was unpacked in #2.
4) become root and install the modules.  "sudo make install"

Two caveats to this:
a) you must have all the build tools already installed (make, gcc, kernel
headers, etc)
b) there was a bug I hit in step #3 in a firedtv module.  I didn't need
firedtv so I commented it out of the makefile.  I can send the file if
anyone else needs it but I'm hoping the v4l maintainers have already fixed
that bug.

This card is well worth the trouble!

cheers,
Matt