[mythtv-users] What flavor of Linux are you using?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 18:43:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Andy Hohenner <hohenner at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm in the process of building a new system for MythTV, and am using this as
> a chance to practice and try something new, so installing from scratch (SVN)
> and trying out versions of Linux I've not used before...
>
> Just tried building with Fedora 11, but just found out they took out the
> ability to automatically log in (atleast without making edits to conf files
> that I don't completely understand), so considering trying another version.
>
> What flavor of Linux is everyone running?

Gentoo. I started using mythtv and gentoo in 2004 and my database goes
back to the first gentoo install. Everything is built from source so
svn or official packages are a bit of the same. At one point they were
the exact same but now gentoo moved back to snapshot builds although
some users have svn ebuilds. I still have ones for 0.21 in my overlay
and there is a 0.22 overlay as well. In all my mythtv usage I do not
recall having many problems installing or updating mythtv.  Although
the operating system needs updating regularly (if it gets too old
updates become more difficult) but this is mostly painless for me. The
most effort I spend is forcing the package manager to install the
versions of packages that I want. Being a programmer in the day job I
do not buy into the concept of old package/ no recent bug report =
rock stable so I always have a mix (even at work) of what they call
testing packages and what they call stable packages. I also will not
have a totally bleeding edge system, I need real stability. With all
this said if you do not understand linux and the linux shell and its
commands this definitely is not the distribution for you.

John