[mythtv-users] 0.22 upgrade makes people searches case-sensitive

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 20 15:14:54 UTC 2009

On 11/20/2009 03:30 AM, Allan Stirling wrote:
> Mark Brehon wrote:
>> A recent change has rendered most of my people searches (not checked the
>> other types) useless as they are all completely lower case.  I did
>> upgrade last weekend from 0.21-fixes to 0.22 on my gentoo systems,
>> though I can't say with 100% certainty that that's when it changed.  Is
>> there a setting somewhere in either mythtv or mysql that can affect
>> this?
> This is only affected by the collation used, not by anything within Myth.
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/case-sensitivity.html

The columns were made case-sensitive initially due to the fact that the
database encoding we used prior to 0.22 did not give case-insensitive
collation of non-ASCII characters, so the approach Janne used was the
only one that would work (see http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/16755 ).

I may eventually convert that column (and several others) to a
case-insensitive collation, but it's a low-priority change.  I offered
to do such a change before 0.22 was released, but it was decided that it
wasn't that important.  (See http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5957 )

Changing to support case-insensitive people names is a lot of work--it
requires identifying the duplicates /and/ fixing all foreign references
to the removed records.  And, even if the devs decide it's worth
changing, it will /not/ get changed in 0.22-fixes (as it involves
modifying the DB schema).

Therefore, please do not change the database schema yourself because a)
it will break future upgrades, and b) you would have to properly
re-reference all the foreign data that references removed rows.

So, basically, fix your people searches to work with the new
(only-new-to-ASCII-only names) approach.

Unless you have really a bad listings data provider, it shouldn't be too
difficult to guess the capitalization that will be used (with a few
exceptions for names like Dylan McDermott or Erich von Stroheim or ...
which can be handled with additional searches if you're that
concerned).  But, since you're used to the ASCII-only behavior and based
on your e-mail address, I'm guessing you're in North America and,
therefore, using Schedules Direct--so your data quality is good.  That
means the only change is you have to capitalize names properly when
typing them in.  :)

Mike