[mythtv-users] Major Audio Sync Issues

Mark Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Thu Nov 19 13:56:06 UTC 2009

<fatgerman at ntlworld.com>wrote:

> >> days

> >> Out

> >> when

> >> the

> >> stays

> >> seconds).

> >> http://mythtvbox.blogspot.com/2006/01/fixing-mythvideos-audiovideo-sync.
> >>html )

> >> wiki

> >> parameter

> >> problem

> >> Have you tried enabling the setting 'Use Video As Timebase', somewhere
> >> amongst the reams of setup screens, TV playback I think? I did this for
> >> a similar problem, also with VDPAU, and it solved it.
> >>
> >> Mark
>
> OK well here is an updated.
>
> Use Video as time base causes the video to slow to a crawl and play really
> weird.  I have Enable RealTime checked, Extra Audio Buffer check ,and warn
> on no audio.  I'm using VDPAU SLIM.
>
> It seems to happen mostly with recorded programs but not all. and
> not consistently.  When the problem occurs, I've seen the video slow down
> while the audio catches up.  I've also seen where the mouths talking is out
> of sync with audio.  Last night watching Castle and V was the worst.  At
> some points the video was 3 to 4 seconds out of sync.  Commercial skipping
> causes it to get closer.
>
> I did see the problem watching through myth video but that wasn't too bad
> (half  second off).
>
> Also processing power of the node when watching a program is about 8% CPU
> usage.  Commercial flagging running would spike around 70% (62% flagging).
>  Recording also going on.  So processing wise it should be safe (2.2ghz
> dual core)
>
> So what have I tried,
> Different players and player options (mplayer, vlc).
> Playing the video elsewhere (copied mpg to a windows machine played fine)
> Played with xorg.conf but didn't change anything.
> Host of other little things here and there as I found online.
>
> On a possible related note, I have the following issues occur and I'm not
> sure if it could be hardware/configuration/or NVidia driver.
> - While watching a video or recording, the screen just goes blank.   Audio
> continues but there is no picture.  Like the TV lost the signal.  I have to
> restart GDM to get it back up.
> - Sometimes after restarting GDM it comes back up and the entire picture is
> distored.  Like each line (pixel row) is skewed (if that is the best
> description) so the entire picture is impossible to determine.  At one
> point I went to the desktop and popped up the NVidia config.  It looked
> like normal but if I moved it, it became pixellated (like using photoshop's
> noise feature).
>
> So any ideas or ways to fix this.  I didn't have these issue in the Myth
> 0.21 that I built from trunk. So I think everything (hardware) should be
> fine.
>
> I'm desperate and frustrated so I'm willing to try any ideas to fix this.

> [...]

I've also been seeing audio sync issues.  The weird thing is that it only
seems to happen on ABC programs (Ugly Betty, Flashforward).  This doesn't
make sense to me since I'm recording analog on a PVR250.  The station
shouldn't make a difference, unless its a source issue.

This may be a completely different issue to yours.
I'm still running 0.21. I'm recording through a Motorola STB on an analog
channel with Composite output from the box.  I haven't done any investigating
or changed any settings yet.

Mark