[mythtv-users] Some Fanart not loading?

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 13:42:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:35 PM, Fred Squires <fsquires at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Joe Wilson <wilson.joe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I record Star Trek: The Next Generation which has the same type of
>> characters as Futurama,
>> and I gets the fanart fine. I notice a similiar problem, but it tends to
>> happen for me when
>> I switch themes, and more so in my videos...  another thing I've noticed is
>> when updating
>> the artwork etc it tends to wipe out all my data pertaining to the videos
>> when it can't connect
>> to thetvdb.. Seems as though it should leave the data alone that is present
>> if it has problems
>> connecting and retrieving data from the site... one reason why I haven't run
>> jamu in bulk.
>> but thats a whole different issue all together. unless it too is wiping
>> information out in the
>> recordings also when attempting to connect .... ???
>
> I doubt that it would cause a problem with the metadata in Watch
> Recordings, I don't think it looks anything up, other than images for
> the recordings. I'm not too concerned about the Futurama fanart I
> thought that one might be unrelated, but maybe it's not.
>
> I just renamed Bones_fanart.jpg to Bones_fanart.jpg.temp and copied
> Castle_fanart.jpg (one that works) to Bones_fanart.jpg and it still
> wouldn't load, so I really doubt it's the photos. I tried to find an
> error in the mythfrontend -v all output, but I didn't see anything. I
> could see where the fanart that was working was loading and being
> cached. I could also see a list of the fanart available, which
> included the images that aren't working, but no errors.

I did another jamu update yesterday and downloaded a lot more fanart.
I had maybe 20 before, now I have around 60.
I hoped that maybe there had just been a partial download before and
maybe something in the DB hadn't been updated on a few of the
programs, but the ones that weren't working before don't seem to be
working now either, at least for most of the newly updated shows the
fanart seems to work.

So, my question is how does mythtv know that fanart exists for a
recording? I noticed one of the mythvideo tables contains a Fanart
field along with a Banner field and a few others. I haven't been able
to find a Fanart field for any of the recording tables. Does one exist
or does MythTV find the fanart on the fly from the name. If from the
name, I would think that Bones_Fanart.jpg would work. I also changed
the name to the seriesid.jpg. I saw on another thread that that might
work, but I still only got the default background for Bones.

Also, just to through in, this problem doesn't involve non-updated
images in the cache. These images are never moved to the cache, it's
as if MythTV doesn't realize that they exist.