[mythtv-users] HDMI and audio

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 00:21:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> a few days ago (see
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/406672) in which a
>> user was having difficulties getting HDMI audio to work with his Vizio
>> TV.   (Gee, I've got a Vizio TV as well.)
>
> The poster in that thread was talking about a Vizio TV with a DFP
> interface, which is different from HDMI.

OK, now I'm really confused...

a) What is a DFP interface?

b) I read "I have a Vizio DFP TV that I conect to my mythtv system using HDMI
(adapter) from a Nvidia 8600GT using DVI".  So I thought that meant OP
was connecting via an HDMI connector on the TV.

> I have two 32" Vizio LCD TVs (different models) for which I'm sending
> audio over HDMI.  Maybe your TV is different, but on both of mine,
> there is one HDMI input that also has an analog stereo audio input.
Ahhh.... I just turned the TV around and, sure enough, there was an
analog stereo analog input next to HDMI input #2.   Hmmm... I
wonder... does the EDID for that port say that audio isn't supported
over the link?  I stepped through each of the HDMI inputs (with the
remote), opened up the configuration menu, looked for an "audio
source" selection, didn't see one, and assumed that the only way I
could supply audio to the HDMI ports was via HDMI.  Thanks for
pointing this out to me.  This makes the whole thing a non-issue
(except for the emergency run to Radio Shack should I be unable to get
audio over HDMI working).

> This was a godsend while I was trying to figure out how to get audio
> over HDMI.
Yes, I can see that.

> In the end, my audio problem was because the Vizio's EDID
> over HDMI doesn't offer a setting at the panel's native resolution,
> and I was overaggressively telling the driver to ignore the EDID to
> the point where the driver didn't think the TV had audio-over-HDMI
> capability.
ok... after this afternoon's research session, those words all make
sense to me, and gives me some clues for things to try should I run
into a similar problem.

Of course, the problem with the words making sense, is that now I'm
going to try to have the concepts make sense...

What do you mean by saying that " the Vizio's EDID over HDMI doesn't
offer a setting at the panel's native resolution"?  For the sake of
example, I'm going to assume that you have a 1080p Vizio (since that's
what I have).  Are you saying that the EDID did not report 1920x1080?

Again, thanks for the help and the pointer.  As they say in the commercials...

Finding out that the Vizio has an HDMI port with stereo analog
inputs.... priceless!

--wpd