[mythtv-users] Move to new master backend

Mark Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Wed Nov 18 23:16:49 UTC 2009

On November 18, 2009 16:11:51 Johnny Walker wrote:
> I think in that case the only diferrence is the actual kernel. If my
> memory serves me, I was advised in debian to use aptitude to download
> the new kernel on the old hardware and then set the boot.1st file to
> point at that new kernel and shutdown. After that you can move the hdd
> (or use dd to create an image and move that) to the new machine and
> boot back up with the new kernel.
>
> You'd have to recompile anything that was based on your previous kernel
> sources.
>
> You still don't have to start from scratch.
>
> Hope this helps.

Since ARM is completely different from X86, all binaries would need to be
replaced, not just the kernel.  A drive swap just won't do the job.
Thankfully I've gotten some good hints from the list.  I'll do the transfer
sometime in the next week or so.

This whole project should allow me to turn off the 110W backend for about 20
hours a day and run a 10-15 W backend in its place.  At that rate, the new
box will pay for itself a few years.  My office will be a whole lot quieter
too.

Thanks,

Mark