[mythtv-users] HDMI and audio

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Wed Nov 18 22:27:59 UTC 2009

Patrick Doyle wrote:
> This is why I overanalyze... and why I suffer from it...
>
> I started wondering about how audio was going to get to my TV via the
> HDMI connection that I intend to use between the Myth box and the TV.
> As far as I can tell, my TV (a 37" Vizio) doesn't have any menu items
> to specify which audio sources should be associated with a particular
> video source.  So, it seems to me that the only way I'll be able to
> listen to audio through the television is if it is transmitted along
> the HDMI cable.
>
> I have seen various posts about jumpering the onboard audio to the
> video card, so I took a look at the manual for the mobo I had selected
> (ASRock  A780GMH/128M) and it claims that it only has an optical
> S/PDIF output.  So, I think that means this isn't going to work for
> me.
>
> The mobo has an AMD 780G northbridge with an integrated ATI Radeon HD
> 3200 video chipset.  Does anybody know if the onboard audio is
> magically routed to that chipset?
>
> If I go with the recommended nVidia chipset on a separate card, will I
> be able to get the audio routed to that w/o the connector?
>
> Basically, I don't know what I don't know here.  So I'm going to go
> off on a digital-audio-over-hdmi hunt (in fact, I've already started
> it), and I would sure appreciate any tips or pointers for where to go
> to figure this out, short of buying a mobo that won't work w/ my TV.
>
> --wpd

What version of alsa are you running?

cat /proc/asound/version

and what does this show:

aplay -L

on my system I eventually have lines that say:

HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
HDMI Audio Output

I had to have a newer version of alsa before it was recognized though
(I'm on 1.0.18a, but this was a while ago)

I think this will tell you if you can use the ATI Radeon.  I'm not sure
about buying a separate card.

-Andy