[mythtv-users] envyng broke mythbuntu 9.10

Pete Ratzlaff pratzlaff at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 18 21:16:15 UTC 2009

> Hi all,
>
> First post here but I've been following the list for a while.
> I'm new to Myth, I bought an HD-PVR a while back and was waiting for Myth 0.2
2. I first played around with 9.04 and re-installed fresh when 9.10 came out.

> As I was setting things up, I noticed that the channel guide was being very s
low (like 2 seconds to go up or down but pretty quick left/right).

> Anyway, I had the "bright idea" to try using envyng to install the latest nvi
dia drivers (which didn't seem like they were installed). I read a bit about vd
pau and all that but it still isn't clear what I have (had?) and what I need.

> So, now I have no more X server running, when I boot the machine, I get alot
of blinking about starting/stopping the ntp server and then a signon prompt. I
looked at the log files and it mentions that X finds no screen.
> Aside from a total reinstall, what can I do to restore this? I was going to d
ownload and install the latest drivers from the nvidia website. At this point,
I figure I don't have much to lose beside my time...

> Any suggestions? :)
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

I use the nvidia installer to overwrite the package files, but I'm not
going to recomend this to anyone else as it can be messy when the
packages start getting updated.

But, I will say that I also saw the long pauses going into and out of
the guide, and for me this solved by adding

	Option	"UseEvents"	"0"

to the Device section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf