[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware-accelerated Flash available

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 17 21:23:52 UTC 2009

On 11/17/2009 09:19 AM, Cool Frood wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Cool Frood wrote:
>
>> This is slightly off-topic, but I'm sure there are a lot of MythTV
>> users who are streaming web video (Hulu, YouTube, etc.) as well.
>> Adobe has announced Flash 10.1 Pre-Release that does hardware decoding
>> on certain GPUs including the Ion platform.  This makes Ion an even
>> more attractive option for an HTPC.
>>
>> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/logged_in/jchurch_flashplayer10.1.html
>>
> "In Flash Player 10.1, H.264 hardware acceleration is not supported
> under Linux and Mac OS. Linux currently lacks a developed standard API
> that supports H.264 hardware video decoding,

Yeah, no standard.  The simplest of standards, Xv doesn't do hardware
decoding, so let's not even use it for scaling but instead push pixels
with the CPU.

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2008/05/flash_uses_the_gpu.html
---
* FAQ regarding hardware acceleration: Why doesn't the Flash Player
on Linux user the X video extension (Xv)?
* Answer: Because Xv scales YUV data. Flash Player operates on RGB data.
---
If only someone would invent some kind of algorithm to convert data from
one color space to another...

(And Xv would work on nearly every single video card in existence.)

Mike