[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help

jansenj jansenj+myth at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 18:07:49 UTC 2009

> Again, that's completely normal for the /current/ implementation of the UI
> with some themes.  There /is/ a ticket (
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7525 ) already filed that shows "it
> [will] be investigated" (or, more to the point--the design will be changed
> to make it more efficient, as this is an already-understood feature of the
> current design).

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where the investigation is complete.
I wasn't aware there was enough evidence to blame the behavior on the
intended operation of alpha pulse.

> That doesn't mean it's a bug.

Since this is NEW behavior for most of us who have the issue, something
changed that is causing the behavior.  I have never seen it before 0.22 with
ubuntu 9.10, the behavior didn't change on its own.  It seems a little
premature to say definitively that its NOT a bug.  I'm using the same exact
hardware I was under 0.21-fixes.  I kept the same settings and the same
theme as I had in 0.21.

> But, basically, we're all stuck with it until someone implements the new,
> more-optimized design being planned in #7525.

What happens if the changes for 7525 don't help the behavior reported by
several individuals, what would your response then be?  What else could be
the culprit?  If a developer says this is the ONLY possible way to explain
the extra CPU usage...OK.

> And, G.A.N.T made /much/ less use of alpha pulse than do some of the new
> themes.  Note that on the same setup, using a theme without alpha pulse, I
> see 0-1% CPU usage at idle.

If you sure the problem lies with alpha pulse, and that some themes don't
use alpha pulse, I'd be happy to know which ones because EVERY theme I've
tried under 0.22 produce the some high idle cpu usage.

> Disable alpha pulse in the theme you're using and I'll bet your CPU usage
> drops noticeably...  (Or, install 0.21-fixes and load up G.A.N.T or add some
> alpha pulse to some other themes and I'll bet you'll see the CPU usage isn't
> low for the previous version, either.)

If there is a setting to control this that I am unaware of, please
elaborate.