[mythtv-users] Big reinstall 2/ FC12 planned; repository advice needed

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Nov 17 17:05:45 UTC 2009

On Nov 17, 2009, at 11:20 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:

> Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> On 11/16/2009 10:31 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> < big snip>
>> Am I thinking of the same script? The one that yum installs a bunch of build dependencies? From ATrpms and/or RPM Fusion? If so, then, what's the difference? Either way, you need a repo config'd, then its just a matter of yum installing a bunch of build dependencies.
>
> < another big snip>
>> Um... What? I think you're misunderstanding what yum-builddep does. It primarily installs a bunch of -devel packages. i.e., all the ones needed to build MythTV from source. It takes advantage of the spelled out rpm BuildRequires in either the ATrpms or RPM Fusion MythTV packages, but it doesn't actually *install* MythTV packages, just the build deps.
>
> Yes! Pure unadulterated misunderstanding. I have never used yum-builddep.

If I'm thinking clearly, its part of the yum-utils package, not part of the base yum package. It wasn't a default installed package a few years back, but I'm fairly sure it is now.

> Thought you were referring to the actual myth packages. you head-faked me with the 'one-line' reference. I mistook that as referring to the installation of the mythtv packages.
>
> So yes, yum-builddep does make the script redundant. Guess I won't bother to do a F12 update!

Heh. Well, it could be replaced with:

wget <atrpms or rpm fusion repo config package>
if <atrpms or rpm fusion repo config package> not installed; then
    rpm -ivh <atrpms or rpm fusion repo config package>
fi
yum -y install yum-utils
yum-builddep -y mythtv

:)