[mythtv-users] Video problems

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Nov 17 16:47:00 UTC 2009

Paulin wrote:
> Update:
>
> I disconnected everything and pulled the video card and blew out all the
> dust.  Reseated the card, and plugged everything back in.  Video is now
> clean again.
>
> Not sure what really caused the problem (loose cable, card loose) but it
> seems ok.
>
> On a side note though i did notice the screen going blank for a second
> and then coming back and continuing.  The sound does stop too.  Not sure
> if others have seen this.  Any thoughts?
>
> Steve
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Paulin <paulin at spextreme.com
> <mailto:paulin at spextreme.com>> wrote:
>
>     I just installed and setup Myth 0.22 using Mythbuntu 9.10.  It seems
>     to be working pretty well but I've been noticing an odd issue.
>
>     While watching the screen goes blank (sound continues) and then I
>     can't seem to get the screen to come back on.  I end up restarting
>     GDM and everything come back.
>
>     Then tonight while watching a recorded show (about 10 minutes in)
>     the same thing happened.  However when I restarted (stop/start) GDM
>     again, the frontend came back up but it was all fuzzy.  Any ideas.
>
>     Could this be a video card issue or a configuration issue.

Sounds more like a screen-saver is kicking in.

I have these lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

/usr/bin/xset s noblank
/usr/bin/xset s noexpose
/usr/bin/xset s off
/usr/bin/xset s powersave off
/usr/bin/xset -dpms
/usr/bin/xset --display :0.0. q

Not sure which of them actually does the trick. I think it is the
'-dpms' entry, as the others always report not being able to find a
screen. (I think that that is because these are run before the login to
X. and should be afterwards.)

In addition, in xorg.conf I have

Section "ServerFlags"
     Option         "DPMS" "true"