[mythtv-users] Big reinstall 2/ FC12 planned; repository advice needed

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 15:38:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 5:11 PM,  <stefan_jones at comcast.net> wrote:
> When I installed my MythBox, FC8 was in its prime. About two years back?
>
> Things have been running so well that I haven't been following this list or
> the Fedora forums too closely.
>
> Now, I'm about to install Fedora 12 and Myth .22. I'll keep my old partition
> structure.
>
> One of the things still looming on my mind are repositories. I recall using
> "atrpms" for Myth, and "livna" only for a few things like nVidia drivers and
> kernel modules. I recall running into repository hell trouble by installing
> too much from livna.
>
> I see that things have changed a bit. No more "livna," replaced by
> rpmsfusion.
>
> Anyone care to recommend a strategy for dealing with repository choices?

My mythbackend has migrated from about FC5 (using Jarod's guide) and
is now on ~F11.  I reinstalled from scratch a few months ago keeping
only my database when I installed F11 (I wanted to jump to 64 bit
rather than the 32 bit versions I had been using).

I compile myth myself, but rely on the repos for dependencies.  I was
a long-time atrpms user, but decided to try rpmfusion for a change.
Everything was great until I tried to use ffmpeg to transcode a
recording to watch on my iPhone (using video2ipod.pl).  I discovered
rpmfusion's version of ffmpeg no longer includes libfaac support, and
there didn't appear to be a 'non-free' version available.

I compiled ffmpeg myself - but was a little disappointed that there
wasn't a non-free version available.  I understand the reasons, but
that may swing me back towards Axel's repos next time I have that
choice.