[mythtv-users] Auto transcoding and user job that rsyncs

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Nov 17 14:05:49 UTC 2009

Yan Seiner wrote:
> I'd like to set up automatic transcoding for the following:
>
> 1.  Reduce the resolution from 1080 to 720 (my TV only does 720, and
> one of my frontends won't play 1080...)
> 2.  Automatically cut commercials
>
> I've been through the wiki but it's pretty thin on automagic
> transcoding.  This should run for every new HD recording, and als I'd
> like to be able to run it for existing recordings.
A bit more progress; I think I've figured out my "stumping point"....
I'd like to set up a "conditional" transcode.  I've set up 2
transcoders, one for HD which reduces the resolution to 1280x720 and the
other for SD which is lossless.  The TV profile allows only one
"Default" transcoder.  I've not found a way to set up a conditional
transcoder; if the resolution is >1280x720 use the HD transcoder; else
use the SD transcoder.

Can this be done?  Or do I have to configure this on a per-recording
basis?  And the problem I have with that is that some shows come in on
both HD and SD, and my family will set up the recording for either
channel, so some of the recordings of the same show will be SD, and some
HD.  And no, upgrading my family to where they understand HD v. SD and
configure transcoders is not an option.  :-)

--Yan

--

   o__